Have you ever attempted to have a conversation with someone about Religion and found them incapable of an open minded dialogue on the subject. Possibly someone with a preconceived notion of a faith you hold close to your heart, yet their bias emanates from media hype, not an informed mind. If the answer to either of these scenarios is yes then understanding the Science of Ecumenics will be easy to grasp.
Ecumenics is rooted in the religious interplay most of us know as Ecumenism; which simply put, is the cooperative dialogue between two conflicting forces to find a foundation by which healing and growth can take place. An excellent example of an Ecumenical Dialogue is the Peace Accord between the Protestant North and Catholic South in Ireland.
For purposes of entertaining a discussion on the subject, I would like to propose the following and ask that you keep an open mind; “What would Christianity look like today if the any of following would have taken place ….
- The Church embraced a democratic model reflective of the early Christian Communities.
- The voices of women in the church would have continued to be heard and cherished.
- The morality ushered in by early leaders of the faith would not have wained, but instead blossomed.
- That man-made laws instituted through fear and guilt, give way to compassion and hope for the whole community.
- That a wholistic approach be utilized embracing the connection between history and tradition, while nurturing the unique contribution each has to offer the faithful.
- Finally, that religion understand it’s place in the hierarchy of spiritual maturity, while acknowledging that each individual has a personal path needing followed for them to fulfill their own destiny.
Ecumenics could be utilized by a single faith group (Catholics, Jews, Muslims, etc;…) to evaluate it’s Dogma, Doctrine & Theology. An Ecumenical conversation possess’ an opportunity for a faith group to examine from top to bottom those ideologies that nurture or oppress the flock being shepherd. In listening, sharing and embracing the challenges that utltimately arise, a process of spiritual growth will be instilled, trust restablished and hope reaffirmed, creating an institution where like minded people will again come together to share their stories and begin new ones.
I will add to this post from time to time, citing examples and additional commentary from experts in this new and exciting Spiritual Science.